February 22, 2024

Spring where you least expect it

When you're there, you smell it right away. I was standing on a muddy path in the middle of the forest, sniffing the air like a bunny in the grass. Can you smell it too? Just step outside, now!

The scent of spring!
I could smell spring, and its fragrance subtly floated among the trees. Oh, how I love spring; the time when the world seems to come back to life, and the sun's rays awaken nature from its winter sleep.

🌷 It's almost, almost spring.

Birds in the forest
I spotted three great tits hopping from branch to branch. When I grabbed my camera, they chirped as if to say: "Sorry, ma'am, we're too busy building our nest, no time to pose!" And off they flew deeper into the woods. Meanwhile, on the other side of the path, a robin sang its vibrant song, marking its territory. It stayed put but gave me a disgruntled look.

Despite the gray day, the thought of spring approaching filled me with joy. You know: blossoms on trees, bees in flowers.

I wandered up the sandy path, and my footsteps echoed loudly on the loose stones in the rain track: with each step: crunch, crunch. Then I saw the tree... time for a break.

From my diary: February 15

I'm sitting on the Elsterkop, halfway up the slope, and I'm not alone. A bit further, someone is getting a mountain bike lesson. I also see a man sitting on a bench; is he old or young? I can't tell... too far away. Wow, a big bumblebee almost lands on my notebook... now it really feels like spring.

The athletes lively discuss mountain bike braking techniques. The man on the bench gets up and slowly walks down the path, hat in hand. I take a photo of him to capture the mood. I also take a photo of the tree trunk I'm leaning against. Far above my head, I see the words: God Loves You

I reflect on my many, many walks. I feel so blessed, just to be able to walk. Walking takes time, but moving gives me energy and creativity, should do it more often. It makes you a nicer person. A few more sips of coffee and I'll continue.

Sitting as low as I am now - on a tree stump - I see droplets on the twigs of the heather bush. I know when I stand up, they'll be gone. It all depends on how you look at things. From above or from below. I take out my phone and snap a photo of a droplet. Whether it turned out well, I'll see at home.

 




The droplet photo 👆 

Season of loss
From above or from below. It depends on how you view things. I describe the season I'm in as a season of loss... or a personal winter where everything continues while I seem to stand still.

Loss comes in many forms. Some losses catch us off guard and knock the wind out of us. Others follow long periods of suffering and waiting. Sometimes we face the death of a loved one, and other times we may lose our health, independence, home, or church. Loss can cause physical pain and plunge us into spiritual depression. - Gretchen Saffles


God surprised me
Yes, the pain is there, the confusion, the sadness, but also beautiful moments of prayer and surrender. I would never consciously choose this season, but it's precisely now that He helps me to deepen my roots in His Word and presence. In this season of loss, God surprises me with His gifts.

Spring where you least expect it
Standing with both feet in the mud of life and yet, I cherish the thought that spring can appear anywhere, especially where you least expect it, in the dark corners of your life.

😍 That makes me happy.

Kneeling for a photo
On my way back from my walk, I see a cluster of crocuses by the path. Even better: just then, the sun breaks through with spring warmth. I kneel down to take photos, not one, not two, but a whole bunch of pictures I want to have. So happy with this moment.

Dear Lord, grant our souls a spring,
Thou know’st our winter has been long;
Shine forth, and warm our hearts to sing,
And thy rich grace shall be our song.
🌷 Wat flowers did you see in your neighborhood?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm really happy with your comment! Thank you so much.