January 06, 2024

Will the sun shine again?

And there I go again. I saw on the weather app that the sun was shining, so off to the woods! 

But I feel so awful, I initially protested, imagining what if I fall ill in the forest, lying there somewhere. Come on, you know it's not like that. #selftalk


As I walk into the woods, it starts to rain gently. Well, let it rain, let it be winter, because it is! I think of the book I bought last month: 'Wintering'. How many times I whispered, "Oh really, you too?"

I am a swirling wreck of uncertainty, my thoughts shoot off like branching paths in all directions, and I'm afraid my head is about to overflow. That lump of ideas remains stuck in my throat, refusing to come out so I can put them on paper. The only thing I can do is walk. I have nothing else. Katharine May

No perfect picture.
The only thing I can do is walk. I capture a random picture because I don't feel like getting down on my knees for the perfect shot.

... And then I spot a patch of blue sky calling out to me: "this way, this way!" 

  • Mud? No problem, I trudge through it.
  • Downpour? Also fine, let it pour.

Stay on your feet
In the woods, life doesn't ask much of me, just: "Watch where you're walking, lean on your stick, stay on your feet." And thus, I escape my overthinking.


Green and ugly brown
Along the way, I find a twig with a mix of lively green and ugly brown, and that's exactly how I feel. I hold my breath: please, don't let the brown dominate! I take 4 photos to capture this image - to think about later - and place the twig back on the fallen tree.

I strongly feel that I've let stress build up so much that it's been nibbling at me, and I should have asked for help sooner. But stress is also something shameful, an admission that I can't handle pressure. Secretly, I'm glad I'm struggling with physical pain. Rather than the vaguer feeling of being crushed. Katherine May

While raising children and writing books, time has flown by so quickly that I no longer have a clear picture of it. Not that the passing years are entirely blank, but they are muddled, strangely devoid of meaning, except for the clawing awareness of survival. Katherine May

Does that define who I am?
My piece of blue sky disappears, and it's now raining heavily. I catch drops in my hand and wash my cheeks with them... indirectly also my brain: is it really that bad if some of my plans fail, if I'm not achieving victories right now, if the book I so eagerly want to write only exists in my dreams?

Does that define who I am?
Neuh (nah)


Look at me now, I've worked so long and hard that I've made myself sick. And worst of all, I've almost forgotten how to rest. I constantly feel rushed. I'm convinced everything is important and that I'm falling short all the time. And my home - my beloved home - has become one big mess, where everything is slowly collapsing and breaking and worn out. I stand powerless against it. Katherine May

The sun!
Slogging down through the heath, and when I'm almost there, the rain stops. The brown heath glows like gold. Still, the sun! I see a nice spot to have coffee by the tree

👇 (see collage)

... and as I drink my coffee, I think about how nice it is to just "be" and softly pray, even if I don't find the most beautiful words today. It's just enough. And: the sun will definitely shine again

More than a name
Katherine May writes in her book 'Wintering': God has always been a name we whisper. I add to it for myself with a quote (once saved on my iPhone) 

In uncertain times, there is a reliable anchor: trust in the Name of the LORD. Why is His Name so reassuring? It is the "I AM," confirming His own existence. A strong foundation to lean on. People fail, but He, the "I AM," is always alive. Even when everything seems dark, He says: "I am here." His name promises immutability. He remains "the same yesterday, today, and forever" (Hebrews 13:8). Trust in this unchanging God, whose love, faithfulness, and strength are steadfast. It's a reassuring anchor, even when it's winter in your life. Source: Spurgeon and a bit of me

I pass on that Name through blogging: Immanuel!

 “We must learn to invite winter in. We may never choose to winter, but we can choose how.”

---- 

I walked in the area of  the Elsterberg or Elsterkop. It's a hill in the municipality of Rhenen in the Dutch province of Utrecht. The hill is located north of Elst and east of Amerongen, and is part of the Utrechtse Heuvelrug ridge. The hill is 62.5 meters high. On the south slope of the Elsterberg, there are several burial mounds. 🚶‍♂️🌳

Linked to: Paula's Sweet Tea & Friends Link Up

2 comments:

  1. Aritha: Your post gives me a lot of food for thought, Thank you for sharing these words with us. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aritha, I can't help but be captivated by your words today. So heartfelt. Praying with you today
    I appreciate you sharing your inner most thoughts with Sweet Tea & Friends this month my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete

I'm really happy with your comment! Thank you so much.