August 16, 2026

Friday's Fave Five

Five good things from my week… 

1. Fresh air again

What a hot week we had here in the Netherlands! For days it was well over 35-37°C and by the end of it I was so ready for cooler weather. And then came the rain. Now I keep stepping outside at the back of the house just to breathe in the air. Cool, fresh, a little damp… lovely. After all that heat, it feels SO good to be outside again.

2. Watching the eclipse with my son

Ralph and I cycled out to see the eclipse together.

It was supposed to be about fifteen minutes away. It wasn’t. 😄 We had mosquitoes flying into us along the way and arrived without proper eclipse glasses. So there we were with two CDs and a box with a little hole in it.

Then a couple along the path let us use their eclipse glasses... and because they had an extra pair, they gave one to us!

I loved the whole evening. Families in the grass, couples together, everybody looking up at the sky. And I loved being there with my son.

3. My husband’s birthday

Jaap celebrated his birthday this week. It was his first birthday without his mother, so that was there too. But I’m thankful for him. For another birthday. Another year together.

 4. I finally finished that blog

Yesterday I finally finished a blog post from a walk I made at the end of June. I had written all my notes while sitting under my old beech tree, but the blog itself never got finished. Until now.

I posted it back on the date of that walk, which felt strangely satisfying. 

😄

💜 You can read: THE BLOG

5. The first little sign of autumn

I spotted my first spiderweb covered in tiny drops among the heather. That made me happy. Spiderwebs with dew always feel like one of those first little signs that autumn is on its way. And honestly, after all this heat, I am more than ready for it.

Bring on those cool mornings, damp air, golden leaves and beautiful autumn walks. 🍂

“The art of being happy lies in the power of extracting happiness from common things.”
— Henry Ward Beecher 

___

Linking to Living to Tell the Story

1 comment:

  1. How cool that you got to see the eclipse with your son, Aritha! That's a memory that both of you will treasure for all time. Happy Birthday to your husband, too. Those first birthdays after losing a parent are the hardest, I think. May God continue to bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete

I'm really happy with your comment! Thank you so much.