September 11, 2023

Where's my walking stick?

There is my bike! I feel relief now that I'm finally back after my forest walk in the sticky heat. Quickly, I put my backpack in my bike bag. But then, I startle.

😱 My walking stick is gone. Where is it, and will I find it again?

I don't know where I left my walking stick.

I look around indecisively, trying to remember where I left it. I can't recall. One thing I do know: I had it with me when I entered the forest.

Suspiciously, I glance at the man coming out of the woods. Does he have my stick? No, his walking stick has a different color. I trudge back into the forest. Not fun! You should know that Prattenburg Hill is about 53 meters high, and I'm climbing it for the second time in one hour. My muscles protest.

😱 Where is my walking stick?

Don't fall without the stick ⚠️

When I'm nearly at the top, I suddenly remember that I left it at the bottom of the hill by the picnic bench while taking pictures of the grass. Duh! I hauled myself up the hill for nothing. I turn around and walk down along the gravel path with flushed cheeks. A few pebbles roll beneath my feet; I twist my ankle a bit.

Don't fall without the stick...

I think it will be alright. Just a few more steps... yes, I see it! I trudge through the wet grass to the picnic bench, grab my stick, and triumphantly raise it in the air.



From my diary
September 4th

When I shared my story about my walking stick, J said, 'Typical you (forgetting things) and it fits exactly with what God taught you." I thought, huh, is that so? But now that I'm writing in my diary, I know he's right. Today, I forgot my walking stick because of my focus on the beauty in the grass. But you can also forget things (or people) because you're too focused on the difficult things. That's what I've been doing in recent weeks. I couldn't see a way out ... It seemed hopeless, but I forgot that the Lord in new difficult situations is the same God as before. While reading a Christian blog, God surprised me with the question: 'Do you not remember?' [1] He opened my eyes to Himself again. I had counted Him out. That's what J. meant when he said, 'Typical you and exactly what God taught you.'

I often don't understand the bigger picture. But God does, and He wants me to remember that He keeps His promises, and I can trust Him when I can't figure things out myself.

My Walking Stick is my walking - BFF

πŸ™ˆ Seriously, I have a tendency to forget things quite often. I forgot my sitting pad three times. Someone in Putten and someone in Veenendaal is probably enjoying them now. [2] The other one stayed in our vacation home. Well, they're not expensive, so we bought a new one. (well, if I'm completely honest, J. even bought two of them, just in case I'd forget one again). 

But forgetting my walking stick? That's a whole different story! I've had this for just a few months, it wasn't cheap, and honestly, it's my walking-BFF! [3]

πŸ’ͺ Extra stability on forest paths
😌 Reduces strain on my pelvis
πŸ“Έ Helps me get up after photo adventures
πŸ₯‹ Self-defense: scary people and animals
πŸ•Έ️ Spiderweb removal aid

~~<><><><>~~

God is more than a tool

J. made some comparisons between my walking stick and 'sticks in the Bible,' like Moses'. You know, when God asks, 'What is in your hand?' [4] But that didn't quite fit because it wasn't a stick in Moses' hand but a staff. And I thought, God is not a passive tool for me. Yes, He provides stability and hope and helps me clear the cobwebs in my thoughts - those are definitely things He does. But I long for Him more than for His actions. That's why I carry a pang of regret for momentarily losing sight of Him. Yet, He found me.

Hallelujah πŸ™✨πŸ”₯


"The only thing faster than the speed of thought is the speed of forgetfulness. Good thing we have other people to help us remember." — Vera Nazarian


πŸ˜„πŸ§  What's the most remarkable thing you've ever forgotten and later remembered?

[1] Remembering, Donna from Serenity in Suffering

[2] Putten and Veenendaal are villages in The Netherlands

[3] Walking - BFF = Most Dutch people understand this English abbreviation "BFF," but older Dutch people do not.

[4] What Is In Your Hand? πŸ’‘ (Our Daily Bread)

8 comments:

  1. God always finds us, doesn't he? I enjoyed reading your reflections! What a beautiful walk with beautiful pictures! The earth does indeed sing God's glory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sincere thanks, Rebecca. It's truly fascinating how much we can glean from nature. It somewhat reminds me of the parables of Jesus at times; He often drew parallels from nature and everyday life. May God bless you abundantly! 🌿🌞

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful post with a good lesson for all of us about God and His love and care for us all.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor, glad to have you here and thank you for your comment. I appreciate it. God bless you too.

      Delete
  3. God will not leave us or forsake us, His love is unconditional and His thoughts are for our welfare and not to harm us. God bless you Aritha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, Brenda. You left a comment on my previous blog post on my Dutch blog, and I responded there. I'm glad you've now found my English-language blog.

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness this is a priceless lesson with a great message within. Thanks bunches for sharing this with Sweet Tea & Friends this month dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula. Your link party is one of the most enjoyable I know. So, thank you

      Delete

I'm really happy with your comment! Thank you so much.