May 13, 2024

Shh, silent walking!

April 29th
Last night, I shared something with my husband that caught my attention.

There's this trendy thing on TikTok called silent walking: essentially, you take a stroll without any podcasts, music, or distractions. Just you, immersed in the natural sounds around you. For those of us born before the turn of the millennium, it's simply... well, a walk.*
* Flow magazine 4-2024


Now, I'm feeling pretty modern, haha. I've jumped on the silent walking bandwagon. How about you?

No wildlife encounters
This morning, I headed out again. I wouldn't label myself a "silent walker," more of a leisurely wanderer. After a week in Veluwe, it's refreshing to be back in my familiar woods. No need to constantly watch out for wild animals here; you just don't come across them.

Taking it easy
Lately, during my walks, my mind has been all over the place. Rushing from one thought to another. Yesterday, I told Jaap, "I'm just going to take it easy again." And that's exactly what I did. I snapped some photos of things that caught my eye.

Moss on a tree stump.
The trunk of a tree.



From my own voice recorder

(Speaking) The sun is shining. I gaze up at the tree canopy against the beautiful blue sky. Birds chirping. Spiderwebs glistening between the trees. Mosquitoes almost appearing golden in the sunlight, dancing just above the forest floor. What a beautiful morning. Oh, a distant ambulance siren, not so pleasant. But the birds keep singing, undisturbed. Me? Well, it reminds me: there may not be a paradise, but there are certainly beautiful spots in the woods, akin to an almost-paradise.

Red beech trees
To my surprise, the red beech trees are now fully adorned with leaves. I checked a few times before, but they weren't red yet, or the sun wasn't shining. But today, they are. Take a look, it's stunning.


Capturing tree canopies
This morning, I also spotted some beech trees, a bit less red, and one with green leaves. Standing right in the middle of the path, I snapped a photo with my phone aimed at the treetops to showcase the difference in color. It brings me such joy.

Variations in shades of red
I'm not entirely sure if the tree with the green leaves is a beech. It could also be an oak, but you can definitely distinguish between fiery red and less intense red.

πŸ’“πŸ˜


Fire alarm scare
And then, my peace was disrupted as I received a notification on my phone: fire alarm in the attic. And there I am, in the heart of the forest. My heart starts racing, wishing I could sprout wings and fly home. Then, the alert stops. My son texts, "No stress, everything's fine." My heart rate returns to normal, but that sense of tranquility, that almost-paradise feeling, doesn't quite come back.

I did manage to snap some photos of people walking their dogs. 
They always make for picturesque shots.



Silent Walking & Overstimulation
That excerpt I read aloud to my hubby about "Silent Walking," which I mentioned at the beginning of my blog, originates from an article about overstimulation. It ended with a powerful message, so I'll sum it up in my own words:

You might yearn for those promises made by online shops, trips, retreats (and Silent Walks), but they often fall short. They promise peace, relaxation, a renewed, liberated, happier version of yourself. But only one thing can truly deliver that. Only you can hit pause when your stress levels are off the charts. You have to make conscious decisions.

Feeling rejuvenated
My decision to walk twice a week isn't some magical solution, but it does have an impact. Jaap always say I return feeling rejuvenated. No more racing thoughts.


Piece of heaven in my heart
Naturally, as a Christian, what struck a chord with me was the statement that there's only one person that can bring you peace, a new, liberated, happier version of yourself. The author meant something different from God, but I couldn't help but think of my faith. He has a unique way of leading me to a new, liberated, happier version of myself. He promises inner peace: not some state of zen, but rather, a fresh start for your soul, deep within. My God forgives. Thinking of Him fills me with joy, knowing that He will eventually welcome me to the true Paradise. I already have a piece of paradise in my heart, as a foretaste.

Continuing my stroll
I read this article seriously enough to order the recommended book: "Van Stress Naar Veerkracht." [1] But hey, while I wait for it to arrive, I'll just keep strolling, exploring a bit... shh, silent walking!

It's May now, and I've got the book. It's a good read. I'm taking it slow, savoring it bit by bit. Highly recommended! Unfortunately, the book hasn't been translated into English yet.
---

πŸ’“ Do you have any recommendations for an English book on stress management and personal well-being?
πŸ’“Where do you choose to: just gaze ahead, or scroll, walk with headphones on, or walk without using the phone (but still bring it for safety)?

1 comment:

  1. Aritha: I applaud your efforts to walk two times a week. I use a cane to help me walk. I don't do much walking but I know I should. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

I'm really happy with your comment! Thank you so much.