September 21, 2023

Embracing the Beauty of the Mundane

About this forest stroll, I write nothing. I carefully spread my mat over the fallen tree trunk and take a seat. I write nothing because nothing out of the ordinary crosses my path.

Yet, should I write?
But today, I defy that notion. I write nonetheless. What was so special that compelled me to pick up my pen now?


From My Diary:
September 15

Just ten minutes ago, I was lying flat on the ground, taking photos (of a mushroom). Imagine if someone had seen me! They might have dialed 112 for help, like, "There's a woman in the forest!" Haha, but now it's break time. I have to 'wait for two trees' before continuing, which means the sun has to pass behind two spruces before I resume. I do this to give my knees a little more rest because they still ache. I sip coffee from my thermos and read a devotion. Today, it's about Haman and Mordechai from the book of Esther: Humble Faithfulness.

Can it be this simple? "Be faithful in the small things; He sees it!" I read it again and again. It feels like I've made a wonderful discovery. The sun slowly rises behind the trees. My break is over, and I feel content with what I read.

End of Diary Page

🌲 ... the pine trees in front of me (with the sun behind my finger)

Twinkle, Twinkle...
Have you ever walked on wet grass in the early morning? As the sun rises, dewdrops turn into - twinkle, twinkle - little stars. Each blade of grass becomes a work of art! When I read the devotion, something similar happened inside me. The ordinary became extraordinary in the light of God shining upon it.

What I Read πŸ“–πŸ“±

The simplicity and plainness of Mordechai's life in just one sentence: "So Mordechai went back to the king's gate" (Esther 6:12). Mordechai didn't trumpet his own achievements, as Haman did when he returned from Queen Esther's first banquet (5:11-12). Although he was paraded through the city unexpectedly, he simply returned to his usual place.

There's something appealing about humble faithfulness: just doing what we do day in and day out, not seeking praise but because it's the right thing to do. It may not seem like much at the time, but when children and grandchildren look back on the lives of their faithful parents and grandparents, they often say things like, "She always did this," "He always sat there," "She always prayed there," or "His Bible was always here."

Mordechai did what was right because it was right, not for recognition. Today, let it be enough that you do what is right in the eyes of God, whether you are honored by those around you, like Mordechai, or quickly forgotten like many faithful believers throughout history. One day, all things will fall into place, and honor will be given where it's due. In the meantime, set aside any desire for personal recognition and continue with your daily routine with faithfulness and humility.

~~<><><><>~~

The Sun Rises Over the Ordinary
Do you see the sun rising over the simplicity and plainness of your life? I saw it, and that's why I decided to write about that ordinary walk today, even though it's been over a week. Because it's not about the big things.

God Sees It
I can be who I am in the simplicity and plainness of my life. Being faithful in the small things, knowing my God notices. He sees it.

Contentment in all circumstances is a great art, a spiritual secret. It must be learned, and learned as a secret. You don't attain it through a mathematical formula or the alignment of ideal circumstances. And if our journey to contentment is a work of art, God Himself is the Artist. Jeremiah Burroughs, The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment


Rainy Day Today
Today, I'm wrapping up this little blog post. I wrote it in three stages. Right now, I don't see twinkle-twinkle stars; instead, rain is streaking down my writing room window. But I still picked up my pen to share who God is to me and for all my brothers and sisters worldwide in our ordinary everyday lives.

☀️πŸŒ™πŸŒΈ Spurgeon puts it beautifully:
As the sun is to the day,
As the moon is to the night,
As the dew is to the flower,
— so is Jesus Christ to us!


"Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. I have prayed for you so that your faith may not waver. Do not be afraid. I am here, do not be dismayed. I am your Shield and your exceedingly great Reward." C.H. Spurgeon from: A Cure for Care


πŸŒžπŸ’Ž The simplicity of life shines like a diamond when awakened by God's smile

Do you feel the same way?
That some ordinary moments, once taken for granted, now hold more value in your memories?

5 comments:

  1. Arieth: I love this! About Mordechi: I like what you say. He wasn't looking for praise, He did what he did because it was the right thing to do. The Sunday school class I am in has been studying a small book by Timothy Keller, The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness. In it he says that we are to do things for the reason that we want to do them and not in order to gain praise from others. Peace and blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anitha, without God in my life I could do nothing good. Only God is good and all glory goes to Him and His precious Don Jesus. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful blog you have! Thanks for sharing quotes from your devotion and Spurgeon. It is so encouraging to me as we as the beautiful pictures you took. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. noticing the small beauties, and being content... sounds like the recipe for peaceful walks
    I loved your comment on my blogpost this morning, and am grateful for it.
    LeeAnna and Milo

    ReplyDelete

I'm really happy with your comment! Thank you so much.